This whole being an adult thing is hard and comes with unforeseen challenges. Here are some tips for navigating the world of adulting.
1. Create a space that inspires you. Surround yourself with things you love, that remind you of who you want to be, and what you want your life to look like. This doesn't have to be a complete reno, maybe it's just hanging up some photographs that make you smile.
2. Take initiative at work. See if there are extra tasks that you can pick up, even if you aren't going to get paid. A smart person will see this as an investment that will pay off later.
3. Try to get to bed at a decent hour. Around 10 p.m. is quite reasonable. This will ensure you wake up feeling like P. Diddy.
4. Find the perfect pair of slacks.
5. Figure out where you stand politically.
6. Open a savings account and have a set amount of money go in automatically every month. This tip is worth it's weight in gold.
7. Explore new philosophies and ideas.
8. Learn about your psychology. You're going to be living in this brain all your life so you might as well try and figure yourself out a bit.
9. Frequently hear out people who hold different opinions than yourself. You might be surprised about your own assumptions.
10. Define what is important to you. What do you want to accomplish in this life? You might be looking for your life purpose to shine down on you like a light. This is how I used to think it would come, but honestly, for most people, it doesn't. The answers will change throughout your life, but don't stop seeking and trying to define.
11. Remember that comparing yourself to others is a great way to make your life miserable.
12. Don't milk your parents’ generosity. You'll feel more proud if you do it on your own, even if it's harder.
13. Find a physical activity you enjoy. Guaranteed this will boost your productivity, energy and outlook on life.
14. Maintain relationships. This, according to Martin Seligman, a psychologist famous for his studies on happiness, is the most integral factor in your overall happiness.
15. Give yourself grace if you don't have it all figured out yet. No one really does.
16. Find a few healthy recipes that look really good to you and master them.
17. When you find that special someone, don’t ask them to Netflix and chill or IMAX and climax. I mean, really? Romeo and Juliet are probably rolling in their graves. Try wooing them with an evening at the symphony instead.
Published in Volume 70, Number 20 of The Uniter (February 18, 2016)