THE UNITER IS SEEKING A STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER
Are you interested in snapping pictures of a variety of subjects? Are portraits and concepts your passions? Come and take photos for The Uniter.
The successful candidates are responsible for shooting images to accompany two stories a week in the various sections of the paper. Occasionally the photographers will also be involved in cover shoots.
The Staff Photographer is responsible for the following duties:
- Reporting to and taking direction from the management of The Uniter and answering to Mouseland Press Inc., publisher of The Uniter;
- Ensuring The Uniter has visual content to accompany all news, arts, comments, features, listings and sports stories each week;
- Working with the Creative Director, section editors and writers to organize relevant visual content;
- Soliciting and organizing photos to accompany articles, to be used as cover images or for stock photos each week;
- Shooting 1 featured photo essay once a semester, and selecting a minimum of 2 article assignments with original photography per week;
- Submitting all assigned photos and submissions (with correct photo credits, photo captions and in the correct format) to the Photo Editor and/or Managing Editor by midnight on the Saturday prior to a given issue’s publication;
- Attending scheduled staff, photo team, and general contributor meetings;
- Familiarizing themselves with The Canadian Press Stylebook and all CP standards;
- Assisting with regular Uniter office maintenance to ensure that it remains a clean, approachable and safe working environment;
- Adhering to relevant Mouseland Press Inc. By-Laws and Policies and Uniter policies;
- All other duties mutually agreed upon by the Staff Photographer and Uniter management.
The positions begins immediately, starting with orientation. The pay is $130/week.
Please send in your resume and a link to your portfolio to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Photographer application” in the subject line.
Thank you to all that apply but only successful candidates will be notified.
THE UNITER IS SEEKING A CITY REPORTER
The Uniter is seeking an individual who is passionate about our city, our communities and the many people who are working to make this a better place to live.
The successful candidate will possess strong writing and interviewing skills as well as demonstrating a critical eye for news content.
This position pays $120/week. The city reporter will begin their term immediately, following orientation.
The city reporter will:
- Work closely with the city editor
- Pitch and write two 500 word news stories per week
- Work with the visual team to arrange for corresponding visual content
- Work well under deadlines.
- Attend weekly pitch meetings, monthly section meetings and professional development workshops
- Review and follow all relevant policies and guides including Canadian Press style, the Canadian Association of Journalists ethics guidelines, the Uniter style guide and Uniter editorial policies.
Please submit a resume, cover letter and two writing samples (maximum length for each: one page, single-spaced) to email@example.com with "City reporter" in the subject line.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
*Mouseland Press strives to be an equitable employer and will prioritize qualified applicants who belong to marginalized groups. Qualified applicants who study at or are alumni of The University of Winnipeg will also be given priority*
THE UNITER IS SEEKING BOARD MEMBERS TO JOIN OUR BOARD
We are seeking new members to join the Mouseland Press inc. Board that has the responsibility to oversee the affairs of The Uniter. Anyone who is familiar with The Uniter is welcome to express interest by sending a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. We especially welcome applications from Indigenous peoples, women, racialized persons, 2SLGBTQ+ persons, and persons living with a disability(s).