ACADEMIC & CAREER SERVICES
Study Skills Workshops
Study Skills Workshops are designed to improve your learning skills and help you achieve your academic goals. Organized by Academic & Career Advising, these six workshops will be held via Zoom. Workshops are FREE. Registration in advance is required. Workshops will run Sept. 21 – Oct. 7, Mondays and Wednesdays, 12:30 to 1:20 pm. For details, see uwinnipeg.ca/studyskills
Need to drop in to see someone at Academic & Career Services via Zoom? You can add yourself to the line virtually! Download the myVisit app today. The myVisit app allows students to add themselves to a line, or book an appointment with an academic or career advisor. Appointments with advisors can be booked through www.myvisit.com as well. Coming soon: Drop-ins at Student Central through myVisit.
Are you interested in doing volunteer work while you are attending online classes this fall? Accessibility Services is looking for volunteer notetakers. There may be students in your class who need access to quality notes for reasons related to a disability or medical condition. If your instructor makes a request for a volunteer notetaker in one of your classes, please don’t hesitate to sign up! Contact email@example.com for more information.
Applications for 2020-21 awards and financial aid are open! Visit our website: uwinnipeg.ca/awards
Current Award Opportunities
• Fall/Winter 2020-21 Awards, Bursaries and Scholarships online application is open until Oct. 1. Select “How to Apply” on our homepage for the link to the application and instructions.
• Louis Riel Bursaries are available to Métis students attending participating universities in Manitoba. For consideration, UWinnipeg students are required to submit an online application for Fall/Winter 2020-21 Awards, Bursaries and Scholarships and indicate they are Métis. Fall term deadline: Oct. 1
• A $78 UWSA Transit Subsidy is available to students who purchase a semester bus pass for the 2020 fall term. Applications are available through our online award application system and will remain open until Oct. 31. For information on the subsidy, see: theuwsa.ca
• 2020-21 Work-Study Program is accepting student applications. Deadline: Dec. 4. The first position listing will be sent to eligible applicants between late September and mid-October. More positions will be available to those that apply early (by end of September). To obtain the application form, select “Work Study Program” on the awards homepage.
The Canada Student Aid program is offering more loans and non-repayable forms of aid (grants) this year. If you have ever thought about applying, this would be the year to do so. For more information, check out “Government Student Aid” at uwinnipeg.ca/awards.
Undergraduate Add/Drop Period
Course changes (adds and drops) can be made Sept. 8-21. The final day to drop a regularly-scheduled U2020F or U2020FW course for full refund is Sept. 21.
Undergraduate Tuition Fees
Fall (U2020F) and Fall/Winter Term (U2020FW) fees are due Sept. 24. Note that this is NOT the same date as the last day to be eligible for refund (see above).
Paying Tuition Fees
Pay tuition the easy way... pay through your bank!
Students can pay for Fall and Fall/Winter Term undergraduate courses either:
• as a bill payment through their financial institution (online, telephone, in-person at a branch) • using your seven-digit student number as the account number, or
• via Flywire.com (international payments)
Deadline: Sept 24
UWSA’s Health Plan and U-Pass
The deadline to opt out of the Greenshield health plan is Sept. 21. The UWSA suspended the U-Pass program for Fall Term. Post-secondary Peggo cards, however, are available for pickup/purchase at the Info Booth on Sept. 18 from 10:00 am to 6:00 pm. Go to the Quad entrance of Graham Hall. For details, please see theuwsa.ca/healthplan or theuwsa.ca/u-pass
Waitlists After the Term Has Started
After classes have started, if you are still on a waitlist for your preferred course section, you should continue to check your webmail account daily for permission to register off of the waitlist. Professors will not be giving out permission forms. Instead, if a space becomes available for you during the Course Add/Drop Period, you will receive an email letting you know that you can register through WebAdvisor. The Drop Waitlist Button will have changed to a Register button as well. Register immediately!
For Fall Term, the waitlist will run for the last time on Sept. 21 which is the last day to register for a Fall or Fall/Winter Term course.
NOTE: Consider whether it is advisable to register in the course for which you have received permission. How far into the course is it? Do you have the time and ability to catch up? Did you miss any potential marks already?
Published in Volume 75, Number 02 of The Uniter (September 17, 2020)