THE UNITER IS SEEKING A Business Manager
The Official Student Newspaper of The University of Winnipeg is seeking a dynamic and motivated individual to take over the business operations of the newspaper. Students are encouraged to apply. Salary is $20,000 per year for 20 hours worked plus benefits.
Management experience is an asset. Experience in print and online ad sales is an asset as is a solid understanding of the publishing industry and how to maintain a balance between the needs of an urban university campus and the community that surrounds it.
This individual will be responsible for all business aspects of the paper including advertising, circulation, finances and business development.
The following job opportunity is for a 20 hour per week position. The position will be a one year contract term and has a two-week paid holiday period as well as a Christmas Break.
Please note that this is not an editorial position.
• Ability to multi-task, make decisions and work independently, act with a high degree of integrity and professionalism.
• Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
• Knowledge and familiarity with Macintosh operating systems, computer software for Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Database management, email and Internet, and accounting.
• Ability to manage a newspaper’s budget, advertising and circulation.
• Ability to oversee and coordinate financial management of the magazine.
• Familiarity with publishing, web publishing and new media, including the ability to oversee production of a weekly magazine.
• Familiarity with grant writing, budgeting and project coordination is an asset.
• Advertising: Acts as the magazine’s advertising representative, recruiting new clients and managing current clients, preparing contracts, proposal packages, revising rate cards, invoicing and collecting revenue.
• Financial Management: Oversees financial management of magazine, including payroll. Must prepare and submit annual budget and actuals to the Board of Directors.
• Administration: Responsible for all office communications relating to circulation, finances, advertising, production, promotions, event sponsorships and fundraising.
• Staff Supervision: In association with the Managing Editor, the Business Manager will oversee all staff and execute the organization’s human resources policy of a safe and healthy workplace.
• Circulation: Manages the magazine’s circulation records by consistently updating, monitoring and optimizing new and existing circulation drop points.
• Production:Oversees printing and circulation of issues, and acts as a liaison with the printer and Creative Director. Manages printing contract.
• Development: Works with the Board of Directors to execute the Strategic Plan of The Uniter. This may include preparing grant applications to funding bodies and maintaining current contracts with appropriate funders.
• Promotions / Sponsorship and Special Projects: With input from the Board of Directors and staff, the Business Manager will plan and execute activities that engage the readership of the magazine. This includes supervision of the Speaker’s Series of Mouseland Press Inc.
• Reporting: The Business Manager will attend all Board and committee meetings and prepare reports for all Board meetings on the magazine’s finances, circulation, advertising, results of promotions and other information as required by the Board.
Interested parties should submit a resume including references and cover letter speaking to the qualifications for the position as well as demonstrating knowledge of the importance of independent media.
Application packages should be sent to email@example.com as soon as possible.
For more information, contact Managing Editor Thomas Pashko at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
*Mouseland Press strives to be an equitable employer and will prioritize qualified applicants who belong to marginalized groups*