Local News Briefs

NHL welcome back party draws tens of thousands

The Forks played host to a six-hour party that welcomed back the Winnipeg Jets last Thursday. Tens of thousands of fans packed the Forks to see bands Inward Eye, Three Days Grace and Bachman & Turner at the National Hockey League-organized event. Even Dancing Gabe attended the festivities. There were activities for all ages, from road hockey and photo opportunities to Jets autographs and beer tents. Police mingled among the crowd to “ensure they’re having a good time,” police Chief Keith McCaskill told the Winnipeg Free Press.

New downtown parkades on the way

The Longboat Development Corporation has agreed with the city to build a 464-stall downtown parkade. The city will loan Longboat $5 million to build the parkade with the understanding that Longboat will repay as soon as possible, the Winnipeg Free Press reported. The city’s loan comes from revenue following the 2009 sale of the Winnipeg Square Parkade. The new parkade will be built on 309 and 323 Hargrave St., where Longboat also plans to construct a new hotel on the site of the former A&B Sound building. City council has yet to approve the plan.

Will Steeves return to council?

Former city councillor Gord Steeves has two weeks to decide whether he will attempt to reclaim his old seat in the upcoming city byelection. In June, Steeves resigned from his St. Vital seat to run in the provincial election. He was beat by incumbent NDP Health Minister Theresa Oswald for the Seine River constituency. The St. Vital byelection will be held Nov. 26, and candidates have until Oct. 21 to file their nomination papers. Steeves is eligible to run, but the Winnipeg Free Press could not reach him to comment on his plans. So far, five candidates have registered to run in the byelection.

MPI to open downtown daycare

Manitoba Public Insurance will spend $2 million to turn indoor parking spaces into a daycare at its downtown Cityplace building. The 102-space daycare would offer 60 per cent of its spaces to the 700 MPI employees in the building, with the remaining 40 per cent for the public, Winnipeg Sun reported. Provincial Employees Care for Kids Co-op would run the daycare slated to replace 35 indoor parking stalls. An MPI spokesman said the $2 million would not affect Autopac rates and would come from its competitive lines of business.

Katz claims Air Canada hotel move due to cash

Mayor Sam Katz has said he believes Air Canada’s decision to move its flight crews out of a downtown hotel was financially motivated. In a phone call with Katz, Air Canada president Calin Rovinescu allegedly said the airline reached its decision because it couldn’t form an agreement with the Radisson Hotel, where crews used to stay. An Air Canada spokesperson denied the claim, telling the Winnipeg Free Press, “The safety and security of our employees was the sole factor in this decision.” They were unable to make a deal with the Inn at the Forks and the Clarion at Polo Park due to capacity, the spokesperson said. The flight crews have been relocated to the Sandman Hotel near the airport.

Published in Volume 66, Number 7 of The Uniter (October 12, 2011)

Related Reads