Arts and culture editor
The Uniter is seeking a dedicated, artistic and well-connected person to fill the role of arts and culture editor. This person should have experience and a passion for writing about such topics as music, film, dance, fashion, literature, food, visual art and more.
Successful candidates should feel comfortable running a team of contributors, assigning and editing their work, providing feedback, organizing meetings and building relationships with Winnipeg’s diverse arts and culture scene.
Applicants should have a flexible schedule and be available for editorial meetings, section meetings and mentorship during the regular academic year (January to April). Daytime meetings usually occur on Thursdays.
This position pays $250/week. The arts and culture editor will begin their term in January.
- Should have at least 2 years experience in arts and culture writing
- Must have experience editing
- Ability to multitask, make decisions and work independently
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written
- Knowledge of Google Docs
- Ability to oversee, mentor and lead a team of staff and volunteers
- Ability to maintain deadlines
- Work closely with managing editor to construct weekly story lists
- Assign and collect writing assignments on a weekly basis
- Ensure section is filled and balanced on a weekly basis
- Provide constructive feedback to contributors within section
- Must attend editorial meetings
- Work closely with copy and style editor to ensure all work is factual and formatted properly for print
Relationship to colleagues:
- Reports to managing editor and business manager
- Supervises arts and culture reporters and section volunteers
- Collaborates with copy and style editor, volunteer coordinator and photo team
Interested parties should submit a resume including references, CV, a cover letter and at least three published works by noon on December 10, 2020. Application packages should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, contact managing editor Thomas Pashko at email@example.com. We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.
*Mouseland Press strives to be an equitable employer and will prioritize qualified applicants who belong to marginalized groups. Qualified applicants who study at or are alumni of The University of Winnipeg will also be given priority*